January 21, 2013

The world never ended

What first started as my confession with the post the-real-reason-i-not-emailing-you-back has changed into something that feels much bigger.

The world never ended that morning when I turned if my iPhone and pocketed my phone in my jacket pocket.

But, mine little "world"felt fuller.

I laughed with those who are near and dear to my heart.

we visited with friends.

The baby and I snuggled on the couch and watched the raindrops dance on snow in the backyard.

I squished play dough in between my fingers.

I baked{Badly}.

I worked out!

I read my bible and did my bible study homework.

And, I let my inner geek run free this weekend at the "star wars exhibit".

I've decided not to "keep up" with what's going on in the world around me but rather I'm shifting my focus on the more " pressing matters".

I saw this great quote this morning that reinforced my decision.

"you wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Now don't get me wrong.

I'm not tossing my iPhone in adrawer forever and going totally off the grid.

But, For my own sanity I am in desperate need of setting some healthy boundaries.

I just have to figure out what that "looks like" exactly and how I am going to re-adjust my usage.

Honestly, it sort of feels like breaking an addiction of sorts.

I enjoy playing words with friends and exploring all the cool places on Pinterest but that should only make up the smallest part of my day.

Does that make sense?

Facebook has started to feel a lot like an annoying infomercial.
One big solicitation to "play this game" or "like this post" instead of what first captured my attention.
Catching up with friends from years past.
It was interesting to see what happened too "insert your name here" but now those updates are being swallowed up in meaning less fluff.
I don't care what "the app of the day is" or the newest game craze.
I have a game for you.

Life.

We get one go around and that's it.
No do overs or mulligans.
I would rather my children remember a connected mom who squealed in excitement seeing my favourite wookie the one with her face stuck to a computer and I shudder to think how often I have been "that mom" or "that friend".

Especially when 95% of that "time sucking vortex" is absurd.
And yes Niffy nunu, I would like my 5 seconds back from watching "sitting on the toilet" even thought you insisted it was funny.

It really wasn't and no, I won't waste your time or mine posting the link.

That my friends is "viral diarrhea" and its time to flush.

Week days are just as precious as weekends even thought the world is screaming otherwise.
Why would I want 5 days of day in day out monotony for 2 "fun filled squeeze all your living into 2 days" kind of life?

I am planning "rebellion" I'm taking back my time that I have allowed to be stolen from me.

Starting now!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...