November 22, 2012

The Tale of Two cakes

I perhaps have bitten off more than I can chew...
Sometimes I get the craziest ideas for Birthday cakes but either find myself running out of time or in this case possibly trying something that is totally out of my league.

Now don't get me wrong, I love trying new things.
I have taught myself many things over the years from
cross-stich and knitting to cake decorating. But this... EEK!
Let me back things up.
Tomorrow my sweet little boy is celebrating his 8th Birthday so we are celebrating with not one but two parties.
One Friday with family and the other Saturday with his chums from school. Which means, two cakes so you can understand how I found myself in this "Pickle" of sorts.
We already have tomorrows celebration figured out.
He wants his favorite cheese pizza for dinner and an ice cream cake for desert.
Easy.
I ordered him a Happy Birthday Bonanza cake 
from underneath the covers on Tuesday night.

"Only the best for your birthday. Juicy Gummy Bears and sweet rainbow sprinkles mixed into our popular Birthday Cake ice cream."

Done.

To round our Friday night we are taking him and his younger sister to grab some popcorn, play a video game or two before then settle in to see the movie "Wreck-it-Ralph"



One party planned!

One to go.

This is where things start to get a little tricky....
My little guy is really REALLY into lego right now so I am planning on building him a Lego cake but I want to "dress it up" 
I toyed with whipping up a batch of these cute little sugar cookies to add as decorations around his cake.
Problem #1: I have never sucessfully made a batch of sugar cookies that weren't burnt.

Ever.

Problem #2: I haven't tried decorating cookies {cakes yes, cookies not} so that might be a horrific adventure and one best served on a day that isn't as important.

I found basic sugar cookie recipe  plus a royal icing recipe
and a great recipe for flood icing
so I will probably try some funky Christmas cookies down the way.
After talking to my son he would rather have "real lego" on his lego cake so I guess while I am baking his cake his father can put together the lego guys to decorate his cake!

One of my facebook friends pointed me in the right direction and I found this super easy recipe for:

How to Build a Lego Cake 


Ingredients:
*1 box yellow cake mix
{Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box}

*2 containers Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
*red, yellow and blue gel food colors
*Tray or cardboard (15x12 inches), covered with wrapping paper and *plastic food wrap or foil
*12 large marshmallows, cut in half crosswise

Step:1 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan.
 

Step:2 Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate or freeze cake about 1 hour or until firm.
 

Step:3 Meanwhile, in small bowl for each color, tint 1 cup frosting red, 1 cup frosting yellow and 2/3 cup frosting blue with food colors. Leave remaining frosting white.
 

Step:4 Using serrated knife, cut rounded dome from top of cake to make flat surface; place cake cut side down. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. Cut one of the thirds in half crosswise to make 2 squares. Place cake pieces on tray.
 


Step:5 To seal in crumbs, frost top and sides of 1 square cake with thin layer of blue frosting and 1 square cake with thin layer of white frosting. Frost 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of yellow frosting and 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of red frosting. Refrigerate or freeze 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting.
 

Step:6 Add final coat of frosting to each cake. Frost 4 marshmallow halves with blue frosting; place in square design on blue cake. Frost 4 marshmallow halves with white frosting; place in square design on white cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with yellow frosting; place on yellow cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with red frosting; place on red cake. Store loosely covered. 

**note!  I did not create this recipe but am sharing it here with you.  To find more great recipes: click here

Now I just have to find some lego men to go around the cake.
{which I am planning on baking tomorrow & icing it Saturday before the party along with picking up loot bags and balloons...}

Or do I slip down to the store and pick up the ninjabread cookie cutters and try?

What would you do?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...