September 23, 2013

DIY: homemade apple sauce

Two apple pies.
two jars of apple pie filling.
two loaves of Apple cinnamon bread and two dozen Apple muffins later I still had apples so I decided to make applesauce.
This recipe is was super easy and it's delicious.




Ingredients:
4lbs peeled & cored apples
1/2 cup water
2 pieces star anise
1 tbsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/3 cup white sugar (optional)
To make:
Place apples, water and anise in large pot and summer for 15-20 min.
Remove the star anise ( which creates a lovely licorice aroma)
Using potato masher to blend smooth.
Mix in spices and pour into jars.
Place sealed jars into a large pot and cover with water.
Bring to a rolling boil for 15 min then using canning tongs ( which I couldn't find so I used my barbecue tongs) remove jars from the water and let cool on a towel lined counter.
When the you hear the jars "pop" they are sealed!
Applesauce will keep for up to a year in the pantry and isn't easy substitute for oil in lots of baking recipes.

If you like that you may be interested in this Apple recipe:
Apple cinnamon loaf

7 comments:

  1. Never tried this but now I want to!

    AmeriAus Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed!!
      Let me know how it turns out :0)

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather, I saw that you have followed me on Bloglovin so I am just stopping by to follow back, check out your blog and say hi.

    One of my fav things about fall and Thanksgiving is all the apple pastry so the apple loaf sounds delicious. We love making homemade apple pie in my family and we get our apples at a local farmers market which has the best selection.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, thanks for peaking in!
      Normally I make around 3 apple pies a year and only in the fall. {{gasp}}

      Delete
  3. This looks tasty! I never thought to use star anise in apple sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earlier this month I house sat for our neighbours and she brought me some spices back from Saint Lucia so on her encouragement I added it to the applesauce and it was wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I love making apple crisp with my apples.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...