November 26, 2011

Day#6: Stolen Memories & hand me-down Cookbooks.

Day#6: Stolen Memories & hand me-down cookbooks.
After my Nana passed away I inherited quite a number of her old cookbooks.
I have enjoyed flipping thru the well loved pages drawing me closer to her and healing the hurt from her passing. I started realizing that Nana enjoyed her time spent in the kitchen and every few pages I would I would find a pieces of paper tucked through out most of her cookbooks along with writing many notes along the sidelines. Recipes she loved and enjoyed, recipes that didn't tickle her fancy and those that were down right awful. I have since copied her and now my cookbooks are starting to become littered with my own notes that one day I hope my children or grandchildren will find. She wrote it all down.
I found a Lemon poppy seed muffin recipe once that said "tasteless" in the sideline so, of course, I had to try it out.
Nana was right.
Those muffins were tasteless.
Horrible, would be a better description but I have since tweaked the recipe so the muffins have a nice light flavor to it.
I stumbled upon another muffin recipe this morning.
Gee..can you possibly guess whatI am going to be baking later on today!

They are called Best Ever Banana Muffins.
I found a snipped piece of paper taped to the back page of the book so I thought I would try it out.


Ingredients:
(makes 12 muffins)

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cups raisins
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup oil ( I used some applesauce instead)
3 medium sized bananas, mashed

Method:

1. Mix flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and raisins in a bowl.
2. Combine egg,sugar,applesauce and mashed bananas in another bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Stir until just blended.
4. Fill muffin cups/liners till almost full.
Bake in preheated oven at 375f for 20 to 25 mins.

This recipe is adapted from a piece of paper I found taped to my Nana's cookbook
And slight modifications made by me!!

Now I am just waiting for them too cool.
They smell amazing.
I hope they taste as good as they look!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...